How to Designate Power of Attorney with the IRS


power of attorney

You have the right to represent yourself or have someone represent you before the IRS in connection with a federal tax matter.  At Lefstein-Suchoff CPA and Associates we represent many clients who face IRS problems.  Please read below for more information about the process.

A taxpayer generally may choose a person to represent him before the IRS by filing a power of attorney. A power of attorney is a written authorization of an individual to act on behalf of another individual or an entity in tax matters.  Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative, can be used to grant a power of attorney. 

A taxpayer may change his representative by filing a new power of attorney.  The new power revokes any prior power that the taxpayer granted to someone else concerning the same matter unless the new power contains a clause stating that it does not revoke the prior power.  A taxpayer may also revoke a power of attorney without authorizing a new representative.

A taxpayer who only wants to have someone answer any questions that may arise regarding his income tax return does not have to file a power of attorney.  Instead, the taxpayer can designate anyone to do this, not just a person qualified to practice before the IRS, by checking the appropriate box on his tax return.

For help with IRS, tax audits, tax problems, back taxes, tax settlements, tax debt, Offer in Compromise, tax help, IRS debt, a tax lien, a state tax levy, an IRS levy, an IRS tax lien, contact us.  If you need IRS help and have unresolved cases with previous tax lawyers and tax attorneys, we can help find an optimal resolution for your indigenous needs.  Contact us at 201-947-8081 or 646-688-2807, or email us at


This entry was posted in IRS Compliance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.